Ask the Fit Fem: Love Me Some Snacks!
Posted on 11/08/2011 at 03:04 AM to Ask The Fit Fem
It's Ask the Fit Fem Tuesday!! OHH YEAAA!!! Here goes:
Hi Syl! Fruits seem to be the perfect snack when trying to lose weight but i am allergic to most fruit. I can only eat oranges and grapes. What are some other healthy snacks that you could suggests. Also, I eat snacks, like nuts, but i find that they can be as addictive as potato chips. Do you have any suggestions for eating them in moderation? Thanks in advance!
Ok, let’s start off by saying even though fruits are a great snack choice, it’s not always a good idea to eat fruit all of the time as a snack. Actually eating too much of anything causes weight gain, so yes you should control your portion of nuts and any other snacks. In fact, fruit has almost three times the calories per serving as nonstarchy vegetables, so it is easier to consume too many fruit calories, which can interfere with weight loss. If you graze on fruit all day, you can easily consume 200-300 calories which can prevent you from losing a pound of fat, if that’s your goal. And if your goal is maintenance, well a too much of anything will wont exactly maintain your weight. Now, if you are going to stick to fruit, make sure its fresh or frozen, canned fruit is loaded with empty sugars from fruit juices and concentrates and high fructose corn syrup, which all equal to what?? A fat ass!!
Ok but let’s get back to the point, you are allergic to fruit and want to know what other snacks you can graze on and how you can keep your portions in check.
My favorite snacks in addition to nuts include:
· Greek Yogurt (Fage, Oikios, Stony Field are some of my fav brands)
· a bowl of instant oatmeal (I like Quaker’s weight Control instants oatmeal),
· veggies and hummus
· a tsp of all natural, unsalted peanut butter
· whole grain crackers and light or fat free cheese
· protein bars or shakes
The key of course is portion control, so how do you keep that in check?
1. Plan plan plan….don’t just scurry for snacks when you are hungry. Plan all of your meals for the week including your snacks, from what exactly your foods will be to the exact portions. You sorta gotta be obsessed with detail and preparation in order for you to be successful in not overeating.
2. Start measuring your portions…I know I know, kind of annoying. Do the grunt work in the beginning and research how many calories are in a handful of nuts. Once you start understanding how much you consume, you’ll learn to eyeball your measurements and it’ll become second nature. Awareness is your best bet to control your portions
3. Journal every single thing you put in your mouth every single day. Again with the awareness. I bet creating this awareness will keep your over eating in check.
4. Brush your teeth after you eat your snack. I find that it helps curb my appetite bc I just want to ruin my minty fresh breath! Trust me it works…oh and if you don’t’ have a tooth brush handy, take a mint.
Please tell me what your favorite snack is in the comment box below. Got more questions, well you know what to do ...send them my way chicas!!
Keeping the fun in fitness!
Your fit fem personal trainer and expert in women's only fitness,