Healthier Alternatives to Fast Food
Posted on 06/07/2011 at 01:05 AM to Get Naturally Healthy
Fast food is cheap, quick, & convenient, but it comes at a price when it comes to your health (obesity, high cholesterol, hight blood pressure, food poisoning...)! So 2 better options is 1) to choose healthier foods if you must go to fast food joints, or better yet 2) make your own healthier alternative to these foods at home. I'll show you how to do both!
Attack those cravings by keeping healthy snacks at your desk and in your car:
Make healthier versions of your favorite fast foods at home! Ideas:
Pizza hut/Dominos: Make your own pizza with pitas, part skim mozzarella, olive oil, and lots of veggies!
Taco Bell: Make ur own tacos - use whole wheat/grain pita pockets and fill with beans, low fat cheese, salsa, cilantro.
McDonalds/Burger King: Make ur own burger -- Veggie or Bean burgers OR healthy snack wraps
Recipe for Black bean veggie burger: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/Detail.aspx
Instead of french fries: Sweet potato fries , or Baked Sweet Potato or Yam
Instead of mashed potatos: replace potatos with mashed cauliflower!
Homemade fish & chips recipe: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/fish-and-chips
Desserts: Dark chocolate, Fruits & nuts, Yogurt parfait
Fast food snacks: Popcorn, Veggies with hummus, Almonds or walnuts
Soda: Club soda or Seltzer water with fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice or add fruits like blueberries for flavor!
Healthier Fast Food Options:
The McDonalds grilled chicken salads with low-fat dressings is the best choice, while the Fruit 'n' Yogurt Parfait dessert also works towards eating a meal with as less calories as possible.
2) Burger King
Some of the healthier options at Burger King are the grilled chicken salads, and their Veggie burger.
Their Grilled chicken sandwich or salads are healthy with low-fat dressings. And just for variety’s sake, try a large chili with a side salad.
4) Pizza Hut
Try their Fit 'n Delicious Pizzas with the garden salads and light dressings.
5) Taco Bell
Their range of Fresco tacos and burritos are better options than the rest of the menu along with theside salads.
When ordering chicken here, order grilled and not fried, and make sure to order chicken without the skin.
TIP: Never super-size anything
Use this page to find the best food choices at fast food restaurants!: http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/
The WORST fast food choices are:
- Large burgers & roast beef sandwiches (especially with cheese, bacon & mayo/sauce)
- French fries
- Fried chicken (including wings, tenders, nuggets and sandwich patties)
- Fried fish & other fried seafood selections
- Biscuits, muffins & cornbread
- Mac & cheese
- All fast food shakes & desserts
HEALTHIER fast food choices:
- Small burgers (no cheese)
- Grilled & roasted chicken selections
- Salads (vegetarian & grilled chicken versions with little or no cheese)
- Baked potatoes (plain or w/low-fat sour cream/butter)
- Soups (except cream-based soups)
- Wraps (grilled chicken & lean deli-meat varieties)
- Beans & any vegetable option (corn, carrots, greens, tomatoes, etc.) as long as it is not fried
Organic food places I'd recommend:
- WHOLE FOODS (they have salad bars and hot & cold bars, plus pre-packaged organic to-go meals)
- ORGANIC TO-GO (a new organic fast food chain that's starting to po up across the country).
- Gusto Organics (first USDA certified organic restaurant in NYC)
- CHIPOTLE (The country's largest restaurant buyer of naturally raised meats and 30% of their beans are organic. Their sour cream is also free of any growth hormones. Not too bad, plus, you can get whatever toppings you choose..just pick the healthy ones.